Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The great IPL final..

Well it was the IPL finals on Sunday...though I wasn't very exited about it and didn't support any team in particular, I was going to watch it as I had nothing else to do on a Sunday. There were two options before me - either watch the game on TV in the comfort of my home, or go to a sports bar/normal bar with someone. I chose the second option.

There is a good sports bar in Gurgaon - 'Howzzat'. I wanted to watch a match there, so when Nishant Mathur proposed to see the IPL final there, I was game. NM drove all the way from Noida to Gurgaon in about 1 hour to watch the game at Howzzat, and I joined him. However, when we reached there, it was packed to the capacity and we were not allowed to enter. I think if we had a girl with us, they would have allowed us inside, but we were not that fortunate. The match had already started with 2 overs gone.

Then I decided to go to our old bar 'Below 8' in the cybercity. I wanted to go there as I had watched T20 world cup final there, and it was really a great experience (and they offered free Vodka shots with every wicket:). We raced our bike to cybercity, parked it (for Rs 20/hour ! even parking is expensive in Gurgaon). We went there only to find my great 'Below 8' closed. What the hell! A bar closed on Sunday on the day of IPL final! Anyway, We couldn't do anything. We tried another restaurant near that but it wasn't showing matches.

Then we decided to go to Ambience Mall, the biggest in Gurgaon. There had to be atleast one place which was showing the match. we again raced our bikes to Ambience Mall. After some searching, we found a bar 'Beer Island' which was showing the match. We thought it was full, but luckily we got the seats. Finally we could see the match after 13 overs were bowled.

But..But ..

The place was good, the beer was amazing (brewed there itself), but there was no commentary. The music was also good, but it was way too loud and we couldn't even talk! we had some pork sausages and beer till the 1st innings were over. The music acually kept getting louder by all this time.

Finally, we decided that commentary was important, and there is no fun in watching cricket wthout commentary. Also, the closing ceremony was much hyped, and we wanted to see that 'with sound'. So, we decided to go back home.

Finally when we reached home, there were 6 overs to be bowled in second innings. We were happy that we would be able to watch the climax of the game and the closing ceremony 'with sound'.

The match was great, but the closing ceremony was pathetic. First of all, it was too long and surprisingly before the presentation ! What the hell was Lalit Modi thinking. Everyone got so bored that I think a lot of people went to sleeb before the presentation. Finally after 1 hour of bullshit, the trophy (design.. yuk! )was presented to Deccan Chargers.



We saw only 15 overs of the game out of 40 :(


-Ashutosh
26th March, 01:40 AM

No comments: